Liberty Street in downtown Winston-Salem is undergoing quite a transformation.The downtown area, once “sleepy” and known for Wachovia, RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company and Old Salem, is now a hub for new restaurants, breweries, innovation, art and live music events. There is literally something for everyone!
Our marketing director recently planned a “staycation” for herself and a friend who was in town for 24 hours for a birthday getaway. Here’s what they did with their time on Liberty:
- Lunch at Willow’s Bistro. Willow’s is located on South Liberty Street in an old railway freight warehouse. The charm of the quirky, historic building combined with delicious dishes composed from locally sourced ingredients was a hit. http://bit.ly/2vp6blr
- Checked into a room at The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel. “The Cardinal” is housed in the former RJR headquarters building on Main Street. This grand building replete with art deco designs was the inspiration for the Empire State Building in NYC, however, it’s not “stuffy.” After checking out their well-appointed room, the friends had fun exploring the lower level of the hotel and bowled, played table shuffleboard and even went down a slide! The experience was taken to stratosphere when the hotel sent decadent chocolate cake and champagne to the room in honor of the birthday girl. http://bit.ly/2trOqAt
- Dogwood Hops and Crops on North Liberty was next on the list. The “bottle shop” offers beer and wine and is a fun spot for a quick drink.http://bit.ly/2v4Dzi4
- Next on the “Liberty Street” list – Wise Man Brewing. Wise Man is simply FUN. The staff are extremely friendly and knowledgeable and eager to share information about their beer. It’s dog friendly too! The casual vibe of this place immediately puts you in “relax” mode.
- Moving on from Wise Man, the duo made their to Mission Pizza Napoletana to meet friends. It’s tradition for the three “Winston-based” ladies to order the wood-fired cauliflower with goat cheese and balsamic. So whoever arrives first knows to get that order in! Of course, pizza was on the agenda and theirs are incredibly unique and delicious. http://bit.ly/2uqgYys
After dinner, the friends headed back to the “The Cardinal” to relax and “get their beauty sleep.” There are already plans for another exploration underway.
Looking for more fun places on Liberty Street? We also enjoy:
- Crafted: The Art of the Taco
- Reboot Arcade
- Salvage Building Materials
- ARTivity on the Green
Thinking of making Winston-Salem your home? We’d love to help you find a new nest! 336-293-7157.